cultivate (kuhl - tuh - veyt)
v. 1) develop 2) nurture

graft (grahft)
n. 1) transplant 2) bud 3) union

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Diving In

I’m a blogger. There. I said it.

Now there’s that small matter of actually blogging. I hear tell that’s how this blogging thing works. Before I scare all three readers away, I suppose I should introduce myself (therefore effectively scaring off everyone except my unflappable mom-Hi Mama).

I lead a scintillating life as a deep sea tour guide. Thanks to my independent wealth, I enjoyed the luxury of seeing the world and taking my pick of fancy-schmancy careers. I landed in Hawaii and fell in love with the adrenaline rush of close encounters with sharks and other sea life (much to the chagrin of my parents). While I haven’t yet succeeded in riding a dolphin, I’ve come dang close.

Just kidding.

I’m a stay-at-home-mom who is 1,000% horrified at the mere thought of snorkeling (Did you know jellyfish can sting you?!?), let alone diving into the deep blue, depending on an air hose for sustenance, a wetsuit to guard against hypothermia and my own mad skills to fend off sea predators.

OK, here’s the real skinny on moi:

1. I start my days with coffee. Always.
2. Sometimes I restart the dryer for the express purpose of avoiding the clothes therein.
3. My husband and I are just like Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt (or so we’ve been told).*
4. I read every night before going to sleep. Unless I fall asleep first.
5. I just happen to have married the best man on earth. (Ladies, who else gets a wee bit irked when they read stuff like that? Hey woman! My husband is a stud too, ya’ know.) Allow me to clarify. I married the best fit (for me) humanly possible. I’m pretty sure no one else on the planet in the galaxy (Let’s not rule out extraterrestrial life forms, folks) would put up with my brainless brilliant antics.
6. I’m just a tad scattered. I blame the children.
7. I have a penchant for those tasty little chocolate orange sticks. I blame my older sister.
8. Girlfriends close to me describe me as a crunchy mama. I’m not convinced. Die-hard crunchies would turn in their graves if they knew the junk my kids have eaten this week. (In other news, mint chocolate chip ice-cream pairs quite nicely with apple slices.)
9. We’re one of those families.**
10. We’re NOT one of THOSE families.***
11. I am passionate about a few things: Strong marriages and families, intentional gospel living, and the orphan crisis.
12. I’m struggling (and failing) daily to live like Jesus. All the while, God is continually challenging my perceptions of what it means to follow Him with reckless abandon.
13. I’m not kidding about the snorkeling.  

So, if we’re a match made in heaven, put your feet up and stay awhile. I’ll brew some more chocolate hazelnut coffee. If you’re coming to heckle me on my very first post, shame on you. Wait until I post something controversial.

Either way, I’m hankering to see where this lil’ blog goes. Please Lord, not to the bottom of the sea.



Blessings,
Cynthia




*It’s our dashing good looks, salary or the fact that we have adopted internationally. Pick any two.
**You know the kind. Conservative, religious, larger-than-socially-acceptable homeschooling family.
***Unfortunately, you know the kind. Shove my religion in your face, and walk away pleased with myself for fulfilling my heavenly civic duty for the day. But that’s a post for another time.

15 comments:

  1. Love it! I look forward to reading more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I thought I was the only one who restarts the dryer for that reason! Welcome to blogland, Cynthia! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look! Nobody got scared away! It may be the chocolate hazelnut coffee... mmmmm - pass me a cup, please! Perhaps a fear of snorkeling is hereditary...? I *know* I can't breathe water. Love your blog!
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, well, well.....it seems this nut didn't fall far from the tree.(hi, Kathy) I believe I'm hooked already. My best to you, Cynthia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally enjoyed this post, you are your mother's daughter. Still giggling...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well My dear you got me hooked! I will take my coffee iced please!! I am fastening my seatbelt and preparing for the ride.....Oh yeah, welcome to blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you ladies!
    @Jane-"Nut" is right. We're both a tad nutty. :)
    @Kim-This time of year, iced coffee is a given.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I start my day with coffee too, and restart the dryer... one difference -- I spray water on the clothes so they won't wrinkle more ... and then forget to get them out until the next day!
    I enjoy your mom's blog ... yours looks like it will be as much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to the world of blogging! I'm a friend of your mom's from Etsy.
    I love hearing her sense of humor in your words :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to the blogging world Cynthia! As Marlene said... I can tell you are your mother's daughter! lol (a friend of your mom's from Etsy)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your post, and I'm looking forward to more! (Assuming those of us who love snorkeling are still allowed to come back. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know your mom through Etsy, and found your blog through her. Keep blogging away; you have a strong and interesting writing voice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sooo glad you are one of THOSE families and NOT one of THOOOOSE families ;)
    Snorkeling scares me too, and sharks, and murky water...and the Lock Ness monster(but that is neither here nor there)
    Blessings on your newest journey!
    ~Shannon Rogers

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all!
    @Sarah-Spray bottle! Ingenious!
    @Carol-Snorkerlers welcome. On land.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment, but play nice.